Cultivating Knowledge in Mommy's Garden

Following the adventures of two little girls and their mommy, as they learn and create together!

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Christmas Around the World Planning

I decided instead of taking December off or continuing as usual, we would do a special unit about Christmas in other countries.  I’ve been seeing blogs with all kinds of similar things popping up and thought I’d use some of what is made already.  Then looking through it, though nice, things are done differently than I would do (such as studying Sweden, but not on Santa Lucia Day).  Since we have Swedish heritage, this really bothered me.  I decided to do my own research and put together what I want us to study based on the availability of resources.  I'm also taking into consideration that some countries celebrate during the 12 Days of Christmas.   After much agonizing over what days to celebrate which countries, I’ve come up with a complete (?) list.  There are some empty days, but those will fill in with things that don’t get completed and if I want to add in more countries. I will post information about each days activities after they occur, since I'm usually still in the planning stages while I'm doing an activity :).

December:
  1. Introduce Topic
  2. UK England
  3. UK Wales and Scotland
  4. Ireland
  5. Netherlands
  6. France
  7. Hawaii
  8. Spain
  9. Italy
  10. Sri Lanka
  11. Africa
  12. Saudi Arabia
  13. Scandinavia: Sweden
  14. Scandinavia: Denmark and Finland
  15. Israel * Hanukkah (we celebrate all 8 nights regardless)
  16. Switzerland
  17. Russia
  18. China
  19. Philippines
  20.  
  21. Scandinavia: Norway
  22.  
  23.  
  24. United States (our traditions)
  25. United States (our traditions)
  26. Canada
  27.  
  28. Mexico
  29. Austrailia
  30. Germany
  31. Germany
January
  1. Greece
  2.  
  3.  
  4.  
  5. Brazil
  6. Egypt

No comments:

Post a Comment